November 3, 2020 Presidential General Election
Candidate filing: July 13 to August 7, 2020
Candidates are encouraged to file your candidacy papers in person by appointment; however, you may authorize someone else to pick up documents by appointment on your behalf.
Candidate's Handbook - Information you need to run for office!
Candidate Watch - coming soon
District Verification - Click here to check what district you live in (use your residential address) - Most offices require you to live in the district you are running for.
To prepare your candidacy papers, please complete the Candidate Preliminary Information and email it to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it to 831-454-2445, attention: Mari.
We will prepare your Declaration of Candidacy and let you know when it is ready for you to make an appointment online (coming soon) to come to the office to file the following documents:
- Declaration of Candidacy – prepared by our office for you to sign during your appointment
- Ballot designation worksheet – fill it out online, print, and bring it in signed.
- Candidate statement agreement (school & special districts), if you are submitting one for publication and/or posting – fill it out online, print, and bring it in signed. Attach your candidate statement to the form. Candidate statements must also be emailed to email@example.com
- Internet Waiver - to allow us to post your contact information on our website – fill it out online, print and bring it in signed.
- Form 700 - A Conflict of Interest Statement must be filed by all candidates. If you don't have a username, you will need to request one. The statement is filed online and must be filed at the same time that you file your Declaration of Candidacy
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices – Optional form. Print and bring it in signed.
- Statement of Responsibility for Caltrans – outdoor political signs – fill it out online, print and mail it to the address on the form.
State Senate, State Assembly, and Superior Court Judge Candidates who were nominated in the March election and will be in a run-off in the November election, may file a Candidate Statement to be printed in the County Voter Information Guide.
- Candidate Statement Agreement (State Offices) - coming soon
- Candidate Statement Agreement (Judical Office) - coming soon
Secretary of State General Election Calendar
Secretary of State 2020 Election Guide - scroll to Section 8 for November election information
Candidates for City offices must file with the City Clerk: